Monday, June 13, 2011

The Beginning

Hi, I'm Kenneth G. Albrecht.  I'm a teacher of sorts, and a constant student.  Perhaps one day I'll start my own business.  But that's not what this blog is about. 

This is my first post on what will end up being my backyard oasis. 

I bought my house in 2010, taking advantage of the homebuyer's tax credit.  I was one of the first houses on the street, and I definitely got the best plot in the subdivision!  I have a natural wash to my west and across the street to the south, and my plot is elevated, thus overlooking the plots behind me, to my north.  I have great views in almost every direction - of desert landscape, hardy cacti, shrubs, and trees, and of the several "Sky Island" mountain ranges that surround my small community of Corona de Tucson aka Vail.

I will post pictures of my backyard.  What I am starting with, and what it will eventually become.  I'm open to any suggestions, especially for a southwest garden.

Here's what I'm thinking - definitely gravel.  Then shade trees (Arizona Ash, perhaps?).  Then fruit trees.  Citrus shrubs, raised vegetable gardens, potted herbs and containers, a shade sail, a flagstone patio, then...perhaps...even a swimspa. 

Stay posted, and stay tuned!  Help is definitely appreciated!!!

2 comments: