Monday, June 27, 2011

Follow Up on Gravel

Well, the gravel was successfully delivered.  I must say that I'm a bit uncertain about coverage.  My recommendation is this - whatever minimum amount of gravel you're told to get, throw in an extra 20-40%. 

Here's why: my backyard is 3000 sq. ft.  In order to get 1" thick coverage, I needed a minimum of 14 tons to accomplish this.  However, what I failed to take into consideration was the fact that the coverage equations assumes a completely flat landscape. 

Step outside and inspect your yard.  Or just take a look at the pictures of my yard.  You'll notice that it isn't completely flat.  I have (you probably have) dips, holes, low points, points of settling, drainage channels, etc., that will absorb more gravel than what you accounted for.

And (this is not a slam against Sure Shot, however...), when Sure Shot delivered the gravel, there was a bit of spillage as the operator attempted to operate his equipment and sling the gravel over the wall, plus a bit out of the bottom of the truck.

So...lesson learned - "P" stands for "plenty" (any Army engineer or explosives guy will know what I'm talking about).  Get extra gravel.

And use Sure Shot - saved me a heck of a lot of money and time!  (pics to be posted later...when I'm not feeling lazy)

Sure Shot: 520-490-9891.  Deliveries in Tucson for $180; Vail/Corona de Tucson is $190.  Dennis is a pretty cool dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment