Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Goals and Grills

My backyard is going to be long-term project.  Perhaps if I had the time and $30,000 to burn through, I could make it happen by the end of the month.  But that's not the case, plus I want the satisfaction of "creating something with my own hands." 

I've decided that since this is going to be a project that involves a significant amount of physical labor (something that Kenneth Albrecht is definitely not very well acquainted with), I'm going to need to provide appropriate incentives once certain benchmarks are reached.

The following is an explanation of a medium-term goal...

Here is a picture of my sad, sad, worn, overly-used, under-cared for grill.


As you can see, it's nothing fancy.  Many moons ago, during the summer of 2005, I was a poor, humble, lowly little sergeant who had just arrived at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA, to study a foreign language.  I rented an apartment on the 2nd floor that had a balcony overlooking Monterey.  Being young and foolish, I decided that I couldn't have a balcony without having a grill even if it violated fire codes!!!  I found this grill for sale in a July 4th special circular for the low, low price of $89.  Anyway, I invited my friends over, we grilled out and had a bountiful feast of burgers, steaks, brats, and beer (of course the starter stopped working almost immediately), and it's served me faithfully ever since. 

But...let's face it...a backyard oasis needs a monster grill.  You know, the kind whose cooking area is measured in square feet, not inches - the kind with room to sear steaks on one side, boil beans on the other side, and still have room to hold your beer and utensils.  The kind that needs two propane tanks.  The kind that makes you know you're king. 

So here's the benchmark.  No new grill until the following 5 conditions are met:
1) two fruit trees are planted,
2) three citrus shrubs are planted,
3) one 4'x8' raised veggie bed is installed and operational,
4) at least three herbs successfully growing in containers (basil, rosemary, thyme),
and then the hard part,
5) flagstone patio is successfully laid.

Ladies and gentleman...I ain't getting a grill for a loooooooooong time!!!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting...I like the layout that you have planned...but didn't hear you mention a hammock...every oasis needs a hammock!! :)
    I am slowly in the process of renovating my backyard, so it will be fun to see how this works. P.S. The grill should be enough motivation to complete that short ;) list in less than a month......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I absolutely will have a hammock. However, I have to plant some trees first, then they have to mature to where they can support my huge, heavy frame. So the hammock, as much as I want one right now, probably won't be an option for another 2 years :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe....That's too bad! I must admit that I did not take that into consideration....at 5'4" I don't have to worry about that so much :)
    I have some ideas on how to hang the hammock, but without shade, a hammock isn't as desirable.

    ReplyDelete